What is the Highest UCAT Score Ever Achieved?
1 week ago by Chris
The highest UCAT score ever achieved worldwide was by a MedEntry student in 2019, who scored an incredible 3530. The highest performers in UCAT prepare with MedEntry.
Is 3530 a high UCAT score?
Yes! 3530 is an incredibly high score, and is the highest score achieved ever in UCAT. Here is the student’s statement of results:
The highest possible score in UCAT (which has never been achieved) is 3600. This is a sum of the maximum possible scaled score for the four cognitive UCAT subtests: UCAT Verbal Reasoning, UCAT Decision Making, UCAT Quantitative Reasoning and UCAT Abstract Reasoning. UCAT scaled scores for these subtests range from 300 to 900.
In general, achieving a UCAT score of over 3250 out of 3600 will place you in the top 1% of students sitting UCAT (i.e. you will have achieved the 99th percentile). The student who scored 3530 scored a remarkable 280 scaled points above 3250, placing them in the very top end of this high achieving cohort.
Is it hard to achieve a high score in UCAT?
Yes! UCAT questions are completely different to those that you will have encountered at school or university. UCAT is highly time pressured, which means that most students do not finish the exam. The UCAT is a test requiring extreme concentration and quick-thinking skills.
Furthermore, there is increasing competition to get into medicine and dentistry, meaning the UCAT cut offs are increasing each year. Around 14,000 candidates sit UCAT across Australia and New Zealand every year. To get into medicine as a non-rural, standard applicant, you will generally need to be in the top 10% of candidates, or the top 1,400. This may seem achievable, but remember all of those 14,000 candidates are motivated and smart (they are applying for medicine!). Therefore, being in the top 10% of the cohort of UCAT candidates is not easy.
How can I achieve a high score in UCAT?
If you are aiming to achieve a high score in UCAT, you need to ask two questions:
- Which UCAT preparation resources should I use?
- How should I approach my UCAT preparation?
Let’s consider each in turn.
Which UCAT Preparation Resources to use
One of the most important decisions you will make this year is which UCAT preparation resources you use. Preparing with the right resources can be critical to your success. There are hundreds of UCAT preparation providers available, so how can you ensure you make the right choice? The best way is to ask others (including medical students, your teachers, and checking out reviews, and ensure you choose a trusted provider with a track record of success.
Most current medical students and junior doctors have trained with MedEntry. MedEntry has trained over 20,000 students over a period of 20 years. We have over 3000 5-star reviews across our global offices. If you choose MedEntry, you can’t go wrong.
How to Approach your UCAT Preparation
How you approach your UCAT preparation is also very important. Remember, you will have to balance UCAT preparation with an already busy year of secondary schooling or university. However, there are time-proven methods to excel in UCAT. These include:
- Completing full length UCAT exams under timed, simulated conditions: MedEntry offers 20+ full UCAT exams and 40+ subtest mocks on a platform that exactly replicates the live UCAT
- Learning strategies to approach each type of UCAT question: MedEntry provides a comprehensive, interactive curriculum guiding you through each type of question, as well as workshops with Dr Ray, UCAT weekly classes and personalised UCAT tutoring
- Identifying and working on your weakest UCAT subtests: MedEntry makes this easy with comprehensive UCAT analytics, and a personalised UCAT platform that suggests where to focus your preparation
- Learning from your mistakes by re-trying UCAT questions, thoroughly reviewing solutions and reflecting on where you went wrong: MedEntry offers an exclusive ‘retry’ and error log feature, as well as comprehensive solutions, including video solutions
- Doing a little bit of UCAT preparation on a regular basis: MedEntry makes this easy with an interactive study planner to schedule regular preparation, and an App for UCAT prep on the go
As you can see, success in UCAT does not come from simply grinding through UCAT questions. There is a smarter and more time-efficient way to prepare, which will give you the best chance of UCAT success.
Why do MedEntry students achieve the highest scores?
MedEntry students achieve the highest UCAT scores each year. In 2021, the highest score achieved was 3480 and the highest score achieved in 2020 was 3520:
Why do MedEntry students achieve the highest UCAT scores each year?
There are many reasons why MedEntry students achieve the highest UCAT scores each year.
Firstly, MedEntry students are discerning. They realise that not all UCAT preparation organisations are equal – in fact, there is a huge range in quality. They also realise that it is important to make the right choice of UCAT prep provider. So, they research, they ask current medical students, senior students at their school and their careers coordinators. They compare UCAT preparation providers. They check each organisation’s independent reviews.
Secondly, MedEntry students gain access to the highest quality and most comprehensive UCAT preparation available. They follow the MedEntry approach to study smart, save time, make enormous gains in their performance, and ultimately achieve their medical entry goals.
So, what are you waiting for?